Monday, August 9

This one explains my ability to procrastinate



Sometimes I wonder what it would have been like to live in the days before computers and texting and facebook. I consider myself to be a fairy productive person, most of the time, but the amount of time that I continue to waste on a repeat basis on facebook has gotten out of hand. When I say Facebook, I mean all social networking, including blogs, including online "browsing", and including basically any sort of time wasting activity online. When I wake up, I have to check out my e-mails, when I have a break during the late morning, I run up to check facebook.

I wonder what my procrastination style would have looked like if I were a housewife in the late 1800's or even the 1950's. Would I be so much more productive that I am now? Or would I have simply found a new way to waste time?

Regardless of this question, I have decided that I am so over facebook for more than one reason, but the first being just this. I feel so productive when my internet goes down and I actually get a room cleaned that wasn't on my scrambling list of things to do that day. Or, when, god forbid, I kick back with a book for a few minutes in the afternoon. I never do that anymore, because I'm always on the damn computer.

The other reason that I am over facebook is the incessant whining that goes on on there. Before facebook, I didn't realize how whiny humans are as a whole. I'm tired of it. I have actually gone so far as to block certain individuals, just because I can't handle the whining. And then I still continue to wonder what they might have been saying that day anyways.

And if it's not the whining, then it's the bragging. "I love my life", "I have the best husband ever" and so on.

Another thing that I dislike about facebook is when you have these so called "friends" and you know everything about them because of their posts, but then you see them in real life and you're not sure if you should mention their crazy Aunt Lucy who passed away this week or not. Because really, you're not that close to them anyways. It's just an awkward social situation.

And lastly, you can't do ANYTHING without somebody talking about it, or tagging a photo of it, or linking up to it. And I'm tired of it. I don't want the whole world knowing what I did for lunch today and who I did it with. And I'm not even doing anything out of the ordinary.

My overall opinion of facebook is that it's a nasty habit that I am working on kicking. It enables people to know too much about someone. And it wastes my time. Just think of all the time I could have if I wasn't obsessed with finding out who is having a wonderful day or a terrible day today, whose kid finally went potty on the potty chair, and whose great Aunt will be terribly missed.

Once again, I apologize for the hormonal rant. It's probably just pregnancy hormones, but this is what I'm feeling today. Maybe I'll go post that on facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment