Tuesday, August 24

Turning 29

I confess that my current pregnant status may be affecting my mood and outlook on all aspects of life from friends to kids to love. Sorry.

I turned 29 today. And supposedly 29 is the new 19? I googled "turning 29" today. There are massive amounts of blog posts on this topic. There are links to turning 29 jokes. There are ways to "survive" turning 29. And really, after reading just a small handful of these posts, I realize I'm a lot more content with my current situation than some of these people. I didn't wake up in a panic because my twenties are on the way out. But I did wake up and think, holy hell, was it only eight years ago that I was counting the days to be 21? Where has the time gone?

I'll tell you where it's gone. It's gone to getting married, graduating college, working, staying at home with two kiddos, miscarriage, 3 pregnancies, weight loss challenges, side jobs, hobbies, excursions, vacations, housework, and keeping my head afloat to prove that I am still the girl I used to be underneath all this pregnancy fat and kiddos.

I really am still the girl I was at 19. I know I am. Somewhere. I still like the same things. Laugh at the same jokes. Watch the same trashy tv. But now I have to tivo it and watch it later. If I can stay awake. My friends are some of the same, and some of the new. Playgroups influence who you hang out with. And that is okay. My world doesn't revolve around myself anymore. My world revolves around ballet schedules and Disney princess backpacks and appointments to get casts removed. I don't sleep until they sleep, and yet, I still probably sleep more than I did when I was in college. Our "fun money" goes to paying off doctor bills and eating out at restaurants with people dressed as big red birds waving us in from the main road. And those gross ass playlands. And I'm happy.

If turning 29 is the end of the beginning, as some bloggers call it. Then I really can't wait to see what 30 brings. Mind you, I STILL have an entire YEAR before I'm that old (ha), but the thirties mean more confidence. I am done having kids, now I just need to raise them. The drama of the 20's isn't there. Atleast that's what I'm told. So for now, I'm enjoying being woke up at 7:30 by Cameron, more excited than me that today I'm the "birthday girl". I have already gotten five or six handmade cards from her. Tucker wants to make me a cake. It's nice to have these littles here who just care that it's a special day for me. They don't realize that Mom is OLD. Yet. And I"ll take that.

No comments:

Post a Comment