Wednesday, August 11

This quote just makes me stop and think


“If you are still in the process of raising children, be aware. The tiny fingerprints that show up on almost every newly cleaned surface, the toys scattered around the house, the piles and piles of laundry lying around to be tackled, will disappear all too soon. And, you will, to your surprise, miss them profoundly.”~President Thomas S. Monson

I have to say that I just love August. I have always always loved this month, and it is, to this day, my favorite month of the year. For some reason, the air just smells better to me. The late summer nights are not quite as intense, but still warm and pleasant. It is still very much summer, but fall is barely beginning to poke into the frames of minds of most people. All good things that have happened to me have happened to me in August. My birthday is August 24th, I have started school every year of my life in August (and yes, I am one of those "nerds" who look forward to schoo starting), I moved to Montana and started my adult life in August, I started my first teaching job and got married in August and Cameron was born this month as well. Tucker was nine days short of being an August baby as well, but his due date was August 4th, so close enough.

And this year, I am anxiously awaiting August 26th, because that's when Cameron gets to start kindergarten. And I have nothing but positive feelings towards this huge event. Can't wait for her to go and learn and love school, but yesterday we were trying on school clothes and all of a sudden, I realized how much she's grown up. She's not a baby anymore, and while I never thought I would say this, time has seriously been flying by. She informed me she wants Sketcher Twinkle Toes for her school shoes. When did she become old enough to decide on her own school shoes? For god sakes, I looked at them, and first thing that I wanted to say was, "Those are absolutely hideous." And they are. But this is what the kids are wearing. And she wants them. And I didn't say a word. I was simply dumb founded that she in fact knows what Sketcher Twinkle Toes are. Of course, I now know it's because two neighbor kids have them and they have been wearing them. But I still can't believe she picked up on the "Everbody's wearing them" attitude, and she's five. This is going to be an interesting year. And of course, I will probably break down and get the shoes if I can find them on sale, but for now, I really just want her to want the shoes that I want and wear the shoes that I think a five year old would want to wear. And not make me feel like I'm old and out of date by thinking these shoes are hideous. I guess this is part of being a Mom that I'm about to begin to experience on a regular basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment